Information about Brexit: German Nationals in the UK

Tipp:Die Inhalte auf dieser Seite stehen Ihnen auch auf Deutsch zur Verfügung.

Preliminary remarks

On 1 February 2020, the United Kingdom left the European Union (EU) with a withdrawal agreement.

The withdrawal agreement fully protects the rights of EU citizens residing in the UK at the end of the transition period and the rights of British citizens residing in the EU at the end of the transition period.

On 31 December 2020, the transition period agreed in the withdrawal agreement ended. On 30 December 2020, the European Union and the United Kingdom agreed on a Trade and Cooperation Agreement, which entered into force provisionally on 1 January 2021 and formally on May 1, 2021.

The Trade and Cooperation Agreement governs the future relationship between the EU and the United Kingdom. In addition to provisions on a comprehensive economic partnership, it also contains, among other things, coordination rules on social security.

General Information

The questions and answers relate to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In order to keep the answers as brief as possible, the terms "United Kingdom" or "UK", "British citizens", "British people", "British" and " Britons" are used.

Please note that the answers are for your general information only and cannot provide an exhaustive description of all provisions.

Germans, who work/reside in the United Kingdom or are posted to the United Kingdom at the end of the transitional period (31.12.2020) or beyond the transitional period.

Employed Germans

For Germans who were already employed in the United Kingdom (not in the form of a posting) on 31.12.2020 and who continue to be employed there, UK legislation will continue to apply for the periods after 31.12.2020.

Whether you are insured there and, if so, in what areas, is determined exclusively by UK law.

Posted Germans

If you have any questions regarding posting, please contact the German Liaison Office for Health Insurance - Abroad (DVKA).

Germans, who after the end of the transitional period, become resident in the United Kingdom, take up employment there or are posted to the United Kingdom (Germans).

Employed Germans

No, because the place where work is actually carried out is decisive in determining which legislation applies.

Posted Germans

If you have any questions regarding posting, please contact the German Liaison Office for Health Insurance - Abroad (DVKA).

The following links provide information on the situation in the United Kingdom: is the main source of information for EU citizens and British citizens on the UK's withdrawal from the EU. The DWP hotline number is +44 800 055 6688 and the website can be found at for-work-pensions.

For targeted support, individuals can find the contact numbers of Job Centre Plus offices and counselors at, who can help with questions about existing benefit entitlements. Please note that these are not hotline numbers for UK withdrawal from the EU.

To apply for a national insurance number please contact the JobCentre Plus on +44 345 600 0643

For questions about UK social security contributions, please contact HMRC on +44 191 203 7010

If you have any questions about the EU Settlement System, please contact staying-uk-eu-citizen or eu-settlement-scheme-applicant-information .

The hotline numbers are:

within the United Kingdom: 0300 123 7379

outside the United Kingdom: +44 203 080 0010

As an posted employee, you should also contact your employer.

The DVKA also provides information to insured persons and employers on the rules and entitlements applicable in the supranational and intergovernmental area when taking up employment abroad and transferring residence abroad.