Information about Brexit

Diese Informationen auf Deutsch finden Sie hier.

Preliminary remarks

On February 1, 2020, the United Kingdom left the European Union (EU) with a withdrawal agreement. Under the withdrawal agreement, nothing changed during a transition period until December 31, 2020.

The following FAQs apply from January 1, 2021 and reflect the legal status as of December 18, 2020. At the time of editorial deadline, it was not yet known whether an agreement on future relations would be concluded. If an agreement on future relations is concluded, the FAQs may need to be revised.

General Information

The questions and answers relate to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In order to keep the answers as brief as possible, the terms "United Kingdom" or "UK", "British citizens", "British people", "British" and " Britons" are used.

Please note that the answers are for your general information only and cannot provide an exhaustive description of all provisions.

General information about the Brexit

Information about Brexit can be found at the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS) (German only).

Information for Employers

If you have any questions about Brexit, please contact the employer hotline at the following number:

0800 4 555520 (free of charge, can only be dialled from Germany)

or personal to your contact person or your personal contact in employer service (German only) in the employment agency.

Germans, who work/reside in the United Kingdom or are posted to the United Kingdom at the end of the transitional period (31.12.2020) or beyond the transitional period (Old-Germans).

Old-Germans are German nationals who are living and working permanently in the United Kingdom at the end of the transitional period or who, although no longer in such a situation at the end of the transitional period, were in the United Kingdom at an earlier stage, for example. In simplified terms, the Old-Germans are therefore those who are covered by the withdrawal agreement.

Germans, who after the end of the transitional period, become resident in the United Kingdom, take up employment there or are posted to the United Kingdom (New-Germans).

The following links provide information on the situation in the United Kingdom: is the main source of information for EU citizens and British citizens on the UK's withdrawal from the EU. The DWP hotline number is +44 800 055 6688 and the website can be found at for-work-pensions.

For targeted support, individuals can find the contact numbers of Job Centre Plus offices and counselors at, who can help with questions about existing benefit entitlements. Please note that these are not hotline numbers for UK withdrawal from the EU.

To apply for a national insurance number please contact the JobCentre Plus on +44 345 600 0643

For questions about UK social security contributions, please contact HMRC on +44 191 203 7010

If you have any questions about the EU Settlement System, please contact staying-uk-eu-citizen or eu-settlement-scheme-applicant-information .

The hotline numbers are:

within the United Kingdom: 0300 123 7379

outside the United Kingdom: +44 203 080 0010

As an posted employee, you should also contact your employer.

The DVKA also provides information to insured persons and employers on the rules and entitlements applicable in the supranational and intergovernmental area when taking up employment abroad and transferring residence abroad.