Welcome-Center Weiden



Have you completed training or studies in your home country and would now like to work in Germany?

As an EU citizen, you can start working straight away in non-regulated professions (e.g. car mechanic, waiter) without having your qualifications formally recognised. However, professional recognition can help give your employer a better idea of your qualifications. If your qualifications are recognised as equivalent, you will have a much better chance of finding a job and advancing your career. You can have your university certificates evaluated by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

In regulated professions (e.g. nurse, teacher, engineer), you must have your foreign qualifications recognised before you can practise your profession. Click here to find out which professions are regulated in Germany.

The Immigration Act for Skilled Workers, introduced on 1 March 2020, regulates the integration of specialists from third countries on the German labour market. The law creates better career opportunities and facilitates access to the German labour market. As a qualified specialist, you are allowed to practise the profession for which you have trained. As a requirement, your professional qualifications obtained abroad must be recognised in Germany, or your university degree must be comparable to the equivalent German degree. Click here to read about the changes and opportunities introduced by the Immigration Act for Skilled Workers.

Do you have any questions? You can get more information about the recognition process and financial support options from the Welcome Centre in Weiden.