International and Specialized Services (German acronym: ZAV), a department of the Federal Employment Agency in Germany, is currently carrying out the “Specialized!” programme. The programme was developed in a pilot project during 2017-2020 with funding from the Integration through Qualification programme (IQ Network), the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), the Federal Employment Agency (BA), the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and the Foreign Office. This may be offered as a standard ZAV service in future.
What does the "Specialized!" programme offer?
The basic aim of the programme is to enable medical doctors from Mexico and Jordan to complete their specialist medical training. We therefore help you with your search for employment, your professional recognition and to obtain the necessary qualifications. We cooperate with hospitals in selected regions of Germany, mainly in rural areas. There are vacancies in the following federal states:
- positiv:Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- positiv:North Rhine-Westphalia
Participation in the programme is free of charge - there are no placement or advisory fees for you, as a medical doctor. The "Specialized!" programme significantly reduces any outlay and expense for you, as the participating clinics fund each doctor financially, and guarantee quick employment opportunities. However, you should plan your financial resources, for example, for your language course in your home country, costs for the recognition in Germany of your professional qualifications as a medical doctor and living expenses until you take up employment in Germany.
Network of experts - you have a personal contact person at the Federal Employment Agency in Germany who will provide guidance and assistance throughout the entire process. Our experts from the “Integration through Qualification” (IQ) network and the Service Center for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) will assist you with the recognition of the medical qualifications you obtained in your home country.
Established processes - we coordinate the important steps of your migration process with the various partners and authorities in the individual regions. We arrange the necessary qualification measures for the professional recognition, including the technical language course and the preparatory course for the proficiency test (Fachsprachprüfung). Both courses are subsidised by the state and are free of charge for you. We can help you through your visa application in collaboration with the German Embassy in Mexico and Jordan.
Employment security - your application will be submitted to the participating hospitals, based on your preferred speciality. If you successfully complete the selection procedure, you will receive a confirmation of employment as a doctor with a temporary licence and possibly a "medical assistant" an „assistant to doctors“ while pursuing the specialised/technical language course.
Step by step to your future medical specialist training in Germany
At a glance: Conditions for participation and programme steps.
Conditions for application:
- positiv:Mexican or Jordanian citizenship
- positiv:Main residence in Mexico or Jordan
- positiv:Academic qualification in medicine from Mexico or Jordan
- positiv:Professional licence in the country of study
- positiv:German language skills at a minimum of B1 level to start the advisory/guidance process
- positiv:German language skills at a minimum of B2 level to approach potential employers
- positiv:Desire to train as a medical specialist in Germany
- positiv:Willingness to live and work in Germany
- positiv:Sufficient financial reserves to fund the recognition process and entry into Germany
Which phases will you have to complete?
1. Phase: Guidance and placement
- Registration for the "Specialized!" programme Specialized! - Data application form
- Advice and guidance from the ZAV: Specialist medical field and target region are identified
- Selection process: Application to and selection by hospitals
- Receipt of confirmation of employment
2. Phase: Apply for professional recognition and travel to Germany
- Preparation of documents for the application for a full licence (Approbation) or temporary licence (Berufserlaubnis) assisted by recognitionadvisors
- Visa application for Germany assisted by the ZAV
- Arrangements for travel to Germany
3. Phase: Acquisition of medical terminology and specialised/technical language exam
- Assistance in negotiations with government agencies
- Participation in language course in medicine up to level C1, subsidised by the state
- Technical medical language for Doctors exam
- While completing the course, you will get to know your employer:
- Through a ‘shadowing’ programme in the clinic
- Part-time employment as a „assistant to doctors" in the hospital
- You will receive your temporary (Berufserlaubnis) licence once you have passed the medical language exam (exceptions in certain federal states possible)
4. Phase: Preparation for the full licence to practise medicine
- Working as a doctor with a temporary licence
- Depending on the recognition pathway, participation in a preparatory course for the proficiency test
- Upon receipt of a confirmation of equivalence (by expert opinion or after passing the proficiency test), you will be granted the full licence to practise medicine.
- You then commence your medical specialist training