Requirements for entitlement
You are entitled to transitional allowance if you have fulfilled the period of previous employment and are participating in measures for which special benefits are granted. Under certain requirements you are also entitled to transitional allowance if the period of previous employment has not been fulfilled.
You are entitled to transitional allowance if you:
- have fulfilled the period of previous employment and
- are participating in a measure of
- further training
- vocational training or
- vocational preparation including basic training due to a disability
for which special benefits are granted.
Even if you have not fulfilled the period of previous employment, you can be entitled to transitional allowance under certain circumstances if you have successfully completed e.g. school training, equivalent to in-company vocational training, within the last year before the beginning of the participation in the measure.
The period of one year extends by the periods in which you were registered as unemployed at the Employment Agency after receipt of the exam certification.
If you do not know whether you fulfil the requirements for entitlement, please ask your counsellor.
Period of previous employment
The requirement of a period of previous employment to receive transition benefit is fulfilled if:
- within the last three years before the beginning of the participation in the education measure
- you fulfil the requirements for entitlement to unemployment benefit and have applied for benefits.
Under certain circumstances the period of three years can be extended, e.g.:
- for persons returning into professional life after a period of care for and education of children in need of supervision or
- periods of care for relatives or after an employment relationship abroad.
Duration of payment of transitional allowance
An entitlement to transitional allowance usually only exists for the period of participation in classes or an internship scheduled during the measure.
Transitional allowance is paid for calendar days. If it is to be paid for a whole calendar month, this month is counted with 30 days. Transitional allowance is paid each month retroactively.
For interruption of participation due to health reasons, please see "Continued Payment" (German only) of transitional allowance.
For absence due to other health reasons, an entitlement to transitional allowance only exists if an important reason for discontinuing the participation is approved by the Employment Agency. Important reasons are for example:
- birth of a child
- change of place of residence or
- attendance of a court trial.
Transitional allowance is also paid for holidays if they are during the measure and the Employment Agency has approved them as part of the measure.